Essential Oils For Pregnancy and Nursing
When used properly, essential oils are safe for use during pregnancy and can help the expectant mother through nausea/vomiting, swelling of ankles and muscle spasms, insomnia, stress, and much more.
Cautions: Use essential oils sparingly while pregnant, especially in the first trimester. Great for labor, but not in birthing pool.
Essential Oils Safe Choices When Pregnant or Breastfeeding
This is not a complete list, as many essential oils really have never been clinically tested for use during pregnancy. Other essential oils not mentioned here may be OK for use if properly diluted and used sparingly.
• Bergamot (Citrus bergamia) – Do not use topically before going out in the sun.
• Black Pepper (Piper nigrum)
• Chamomile, German/Roman (Chamaemelum nobile, Matricaria recutita)
• Copaiba (Copaifera langsdorfii, Copaifera officinalis)
• Coriander (Coriandrum sativum)
• Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
• Fir Needle (Abies alba, Abies sachalinensis, Abies sibirica)
• Frankincense (Boswellia carteri, Boswellia frereana, Boswellia neglecta, Boswellia rivae, Boswellia sacra, Boswellia serrata)
• Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
• Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
• Grapefruit (Citrus x paradisi) – Do not use topically before going out in the sun.
• Juniper berry (Juniperus communis)
• Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
• Lemon (Citrus x limon) – Do not use topically before going out in the sun.
• Lime (Citrus x aurantifolia) – Do not use topically before going out in the sun,
• Marjoram, Sweet (Marjorana hortensis)
• Mandarin (Citrus reticulata)
• Neroli (Citrus x aurantium)
• Orange, Sweet (Citrus sinensis)
• Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin)
• Petitgrain (Citrus aurantium)
• Pine, Scots (Pinus sylvestris)
• Rose, Otto (Rosa damascena) – is safe for use during the third trimester
• Sandalwood (Santalum spicatum)
• Tangerine (Citrus reticulata)
• Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
• Thyme ct linalool (Thymus vulgaris)
• Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata) – Extremely pungent, so use sparingly