Earth Day Essential Oil Playdough and Mat
Essential Oil Playdough (Play Doh)
Homemade Playdough (Play Doh) made with with essential oils is a great way to promote creative play in children as well as teach them about colors and scents.
You will need:
4 cups flour
2 cups colored water
2 cup salt
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoon cream of tartar
5-10 drops essential oils (optional, but recommended)
Large sauce pan
Airtight container(s) or large zip lock bags
Food coloring (optional)
Recommended essential oils
You can mix one, two, or all three. These are child safe and together have a nice earthy smell. :)
- With the stove off, combine all ingredients (apart from essential oils) in a large saucepan. Using a spatula, stir until well mixed.
- Once combined, continue to stir ingredients over medium heat until it forms a ball. Be careful not to overcook as it will result in dry play dough.
- Remove from pan and cool on parchment paper.
- Once cool, divide dough in half or thirds as desired. Add 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oil and 5-10 drops of food coloring (or as prefered) to each batch of dough. Knead until thoroughly combined.
- You’re done! Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for months of fun.
Tips to make the best homemade play doh
- Use 100% pure essential oils of the best quality. Synthetics or impure essential oils can give headaches and other reactions and are not something I would use for children.
Printable Earth Playdough Mat
Click on the image below to enlarge it, then save and print. Our printable will print out on standard 8x11 printer paper.
If you want to make this nonstick and reusable, simply slide it into a page protector.
We wish you many blessings as you spend time with this project and your children on this Earth Day Week!