Yoni Steams, known in Spanish as Bajos, is an ancient practice that is seeing a revival as women are more and more getting in touch with a more holistic connection to their bodies.
Here are just some of the benefits to Yoni Steam:
For fertility: If you are actively trying to conceive, you can use the Yoni Steam during your pre-ovulation phase up until ovulation. Yoni steam helps to create uterine membranes that are moist and receptive for conception to happen. Do not steam after possible conception.
Postpartum: Using Yoni Steam after birth brings nourishing heat, supports the body to release fluids, and aids the womb in shrinking back to pre-pregnancy size. For caesarian births, wait until you’ve healed before attempting to steam.
After miscarriage: Yoni Steam Ritual may support your body in cleansing and can also be a wonderful tool for aiding in emotional balance. Yoni Steam once your bleeding has stopped.
Cramps, tightness or pain during intercourse: Yoni Steam soothes and relaxes the pelvic muscles. Be especially mindful to practice deep breathing while steaming for these conditions.
Peri-menopause and menopause: Yoni Steam can stimulate circulation and support your womb to continue to release fully even when your cycle is slowing. For menopausal women, yoni steam will revitalize vaginal tissue, improve vaginal dryness, and help with the change of season.
After Hysterectomy: The heat and warmth is a soothing therapy for scar tissue, and can be a wonderful way to connect with your femininity.
- Bring 1/4 Cup of your herbs and water to boil. Simmer on the stove for 10-15min. This will bring out more of the essential oils in the plants. Be careful when you sit to not burn the sensitive tissues of your vulva! You will probably need to let it steam off for a few moments before you can sit over it.
- Enjoy your steam for about 20 minutes. If you are able to, the ideal position is to squat. This brings the most open position to the pelvis, but may not be available for everyone or comfortable for long periods of time. You can also switch between squatting and kneeling while bending over with your elbows on the floor. Get creative here. There are also vaginal steam stools and chairs available to buy. Make sure you wear socks and wrap the blankets closely around you and the pot, so all the heat stays inside.
- Rest and nurture yourself afterwards, stay warm, drink some herbal tea and move slowly. Breathe this feminine nourishment into your womb and wise woman bones.
Changes to Expect After Steaming: Immediately following a Yoni Steam, you might feel extremely relaxed, emotional, or tired. In the days following, there are a number of things that women experience after Yoni Steaming. You might experience changes in your cycle, lighter period, release of dark blood and clots, feminine awareness. Changes can come on quickly, or more subtly.
During and after your steam you might feel tired or emotional, and it’s important you take the time to rest and stay warm after your Yoni Steam.
Only use Yoni Steam under doctors orders if any of the following apply:
- If you have an IUD
- If you are bleeding
- You are pregnant or think you may be pregnant
- If you have a vaginal infection or open wound