Charcoal has been used medicinally for thousands of years. The ancient Egyptians used it as a poultice to clean wounds. The Hindus used it for water filtration. In the 18th century, pharmacists and chemists discovered the ability of charcoal to provide protection from toxins. Modern medicine uses activated charcoal in water filters and as an antidote for poison.
Activated charcoal is a powerful tool to detoxify, purify, and clean up your skincare routine, especially if you have oily, acne prone, or combination skin. This form of porous carbon binds other substances to its surface and hold them there, drawing out excess oil, pollutants, and other impurities. If you haven't already tried it, you will be amazed with the results.
1. Treats Oily Skin: You might be fed up with trying out so many ways to treat oily skin. Some things don't work at all, and others seem to work, and then the oil comes back with a vengeance. Because activated charcoal absorbs excessive oil along with dirt and other impurities, it works without relying on drying out your skin like a lot of products do. This prevents your skin from naturally fighting back by producing more oil. Yay!
2. Provides Flawless Skin: Activated charcoal is also effective in the removal of dead cells, acting as the gentlest of exfoliators, thus providing clean and flawless skin.
3. Reduces Acne: Because of its ability to bind substances to its surface and wash it away, activated charcoal soap not only aids in the removal of toxins, but also removes skin impurities thus helping in the treatment of acne. For problematic acne prone skin, try our Activated Charcoal Tea Tree and Peppermint Soap. This powerful combination is undeniably good at fighting acne.
4. Prevents Premature Aging: Making activated charcoal soap a part of your skincare routine can help with fine lines and wrinkles. Because of it's ability to gently exfoliate without damaging skin, it polishes up tired looking dull skin, which works wonders for looking younger. Use it on your entire body to get these benefits all over.
5. Helps with Dry Skin and Patches: You read that right. While activated charcoal soap works on oily skin, it also helps to exfoliant, remove dead skin cells, and detoxify (especially important for eczema and psoriasis). Activated charcoal soap can be effective in the treatment of dry, cracked skin.
6. Removes Toxins and Other Debris: Dust, smoke, and other pollutants can wreak havoc on your skin, not to mention that it's important to keep our skin free of nasties because it is our largest organ, and plays a big part in keeping us healthy.
7. Reduces Pore Size: You might have noticed that your pores become more noticeable when dirt and debris settle in. Washing your face regularly with activated charcoal soap can clean up your pores by extracting the grime, and reduce the size of pores.
8. Works for Every Skin Type: Charcoal soap is one of the few skincare products that is suitable for every skin type! Whether you are trying to clear up oily skin, gently exfoliate dry skin, tighten up loose skin, or reduce acne, activated charcoal soap can be a good choice. It has the power to extract excessive oil from oily skin, moisturize and nourish dry skin, and effectively treats skin allergies and redness. For sensitive, allergy prone skin, try our Unscented Activated Charcoal Soap.
10. Treats Dandruff: Activated charcoal soap has the unique property of functioning as a face wash, body wash, and shampoo. When used as a shampoo, it helps treat skin conditions like dandruff and dry scalp. It produces a rich lather, and is even more beneficial in reducing dandruff when paired with Tea Tree and Peppermint as in The Herbal Toad's Activated Charcoal Tea Tree Peppermint Soap.