Essential Oils for Pregnancy and Lactation
When used properly, essential oils are safe for use during pregnancy and can help the expectant mother through nausea/vomiting, swelling of ankles, muscle spasms, insomnia, stress, and much more. In addition, essential oils used properly can be an excellent tool for accelerating milk production during breastfeeding.
Cautions: Always use oils that are for certain pure. Many company mislead buyers with false labeling. Using chemical laden fragrance oils that are disguised as essential oils is never a good idea, and are dangerous during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Use essential oils sparingly while pregnant, especially in the first trimester. Great for labor, but not in birthing pool. See: Labor Essential Oil
Essential Oils Safe Choices When Pregnant or Breastfeeding
This is not a complete list, as many essential oils really have never been clinically tested for use during pregnancy. Other essential oils not mentioned here may be OK for use if properly diluted.
• Bergamot (Citrus bergamia) – Do not use topically before going out in the sun.
• Black Pepper (Piper nigrum)
• Chamomile, German/Roman (Chamaemelum nobile, Matricaria recutita)
• Copaiba (Copaifera langsdorfii, Copaifera officinalis)
• Coriander (Coriandrum sativum)
• Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
• Fir Needle (Abies alba, Abies sachalinensis, Abies sibirica)
• Frankincense (Boswellia carteri, Boswellia frereana, Boswellia neglecta, Boswellia rivae, Boswellia sacra, Boswellia serrata)
• Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
• Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
• Grapefruit (Citrus x paradisi) – Do not use topically before going out in the sun.
• Juniper berry (Juniperus communis)
• Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
• Lemon (Citrus x limon) – Do not use topically before going out in the sun.
• Lime (Citrus x aurantifolia) – Do not use topically before going out in the sun,
• Marjoram, Sweet (Marjorana hortensis)
• Mandarin (Citrus reticulata)
• Neroli (Citrus x aurantium)
• Orange, Sweet (Citrus sinensis)
• Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin)
• Petitgrain (Citrus aurantium)
• Pine, Scots (Pinus sylvestris)
• Rose (Rosa x centifolia) – is safe for use during the third trimester
• Sandalwood (Santalum spicatum)
• Tangerine (Citrus reticulata)
• Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
• Thyme ct linalool (Thymus vulgaris)
• Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata) – Extremely pungent, so use sparingly
Remember, we are here to help. If you have questions, please ask your certified aromatherapist, or contact us.